City of Jacksonville


FAQs - Solid Waste Fee


Who is charged the solid waste fee?

The solid waste fee is typically charged to the following residential premise types, regardless of occupancy:

  • Single-family detached homes
  • Townhomes that allow for curbside collection
  • Condominiums that allow for curbside collection
  • Duplexes (2 units)
  • Triplexes (3 units)
  • Quadplexes (4 units)
  • Mobile homes (4 units or less on one parcel)

Properties with more than 4 units, apartment complexes, high-rise condominiums, mobile home parks and non-residential properties are each handled differently.  The solid waste fee may also apply to businesses that operate out of residential premises.   Please contact the Solid Waste Division at (904) 255-7500 or visit the Solid Waste Division's Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.

Return to Top of Page

How did you determine what I owe?

In 2010, the city adjusted the charge to collect and dispose of collection of household garbage, yard waste and recycling to match the actual cost to provide those services.

The current monthly rate of $12.65 took effect Oct. 1, 2010, and is subject to change annually as part of the annual review of fees detailed in Sec. 106.112, Jacksonville Ordinance Code.

Return to Top of Page

What is a non-ad valorem assessment, and why are you using this method to collect this fee?

A non-ad valorem assessment is a fee or other charge billed via the property tax bill, but is not based on a property's value like ad valorem taxes. Non-ad valorem assessments are subject to the same benefits, payment deadlines, and penalties as ad valorem taxes.

The City of Jacksonville chose to bill the stormwater and solid waste fees as non-ad valorem assessments for several reasons:

  • Customers will receive the same early-payment discounts that are available for ad valorem taxes: 4 percent discount in November; 3 percent in December; 2 percent in January; and 1 percent in February.
  • Customers who escrow will be paying the fees on a monthly basis, rather than a lump sum once a year.
  • Customers who do not escrow and whose taxes and fees total more than $100 may choose to enroll in the Quarterly Installment Plan - click here to learn more.
  • Customers who sell/buy property will have their fees settled during closing, just like ad valorem taxes.

Return to Top of Page

What happens if I don't pay the solid waste fee?

As a non-ad valorem assessment, the solid waste fee must be paid in full at the same time as the rest of your property tax bill. Failure to pay the property tax bill by the deadline on the bill may result in penalties. 

Return to Top of Page

I generate little to no waste. Why am I being charged the same as other people?

Jacksonville does not base the solid waste fee on volume. The overall cost to provide residential collection service for household garbage, yard waste and recycling is divided equally among all possible residential users. This unit-price based approach discourages illegal dumping and ensures that all residential properties receive the same service, regardless of the amount of waste generated at any given time.

Even if a residence is unoccupied, either because of foreclosure, lack of rental, condemnation, etc., waste may still be generated from that site, or someone may use that vacant premises to illegally dump.  The Solid Waste Division is obligated to collect from such premises. If you would like more information, please call the Solid Waste Division at (904) 255-7500.

Return to Top of Page

Is there any way to get my solid waste fee discounted or reduced?

If you are being charged for more residences on your property than what actually exists, your assessment may be reduced by submitting a residential adjustment application.  By law, all residences are charged the solid waste fee regardless of occupancy or utility consumption.  Prior to submitting your application, please ensure your property record is correct by using the Property Appraiser's Office property search function.

There are no discount or credit programs available for the solid waste fee.

Return to Top of Page

Don't my property taxes pay for garbage collection?

Prior to 2008, both solid waste collection and disposal were funded entirely by the city's general budget. However, in response to the shortfalls expected in ad valorem revenue, the city established a separate user fee to solely fund solid waste collection.

In 2008 and 2009, the fee rate represented only about a quarter of the actual cost to provide the service.  The monthly rate increased in 2010 to reflect the actual cost to collect and dispose of household garbage, yard waste and recycling.  It is subject to change in the future according to the annual review of fees detailed in Sec. 106.112, Jacksonville Ordinance Code.

Return to Top of Page

 Why should I have to pay separately for garbage collection?

The city instituted the solid waste fee to ensure only residential users were paying the cost to collect household garbage, yard waste and recycling.  When garbage collection was included in ad valorem taxes, non-users of the residential collection service were essentially contributing to the cost of the service.

Return to Top of Page

I'm being charged for a structure that is not used as a house. What can I do?

We obtain our billing information from property records. If the property record shows a structure's 'building use' is that of a residence (i.e., single family home, mobile home, garage apartment) it will be charged, regardless of occupancy.

However, if you believe the structure is incorrectly classified in property records, you may contact the Property Appraiser's Office (PAO) at (904) 630-2020 for an opinion.  Be aware that the PAO is a constitutional office with specific responsibilities outlined in state statutes; it is under no obligation to consider the impacts of its decisions on the city's the solid waste fee. 

If the PAO declines to reclassify the structure, you may contact the Solid Waste Division at (904) 255-7500 for an inspection of secondary structures.  Waivers will not be considered for properties with just one residential structure. 

Return to Top of Page