City of Jacksonville


Traffic Engineering

The Traffic Engineering Division regulates, installs and maintains street markings, signs, signals and other vehicular and pedestrian traffic control devices on city-owned roadways.  Through an agreement with the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), the division also maintains 550 traffic signals on state-owned roadways.  

Traffic Engineering works very closely with the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, which enforces the laws and regulations relating to traffic.  Traffic control devices are effective, but only when drivers choose to obey them.

If you have concerns about traffic violations in your neighborhood, you should consider contacting your local JSO Substation, or get involved in your area's Sheriff's Advisory Council (ShAdCo).

To request service or to report a signal, sign or other traffic problem, please call 630-CITY (2489) or visit 630-CITY online.

Temporary Use or Closure of Streets for Special Events or Block Parties

The Traffic Engineering Division reviews requests for temporary closure or use of city roads for walks/runs, bike races, and other special events and residential block parties. Click here for information.


JEA maintains streetlights.  To request service or report an outage, please visit JEA's website or call (904) 665-6000.

Memorial Markers

By request, the city will fabricate and install roadside memorial markers to commemorate victims of traffic accidents on city-maintained roadways.  Click here to view the memorial marker policy and application form.

To request a marker on a state road, please contact the FDOT District Two office at (904) 360-5400 or e-mail

Charitable Solicitation

A Permit For Solicitation On The Right-Of-Way Of Any Public Street Or Highway In The City May Be Obtained From The Public Works Department, Provided The Applicant Meets The Following Criteria.  For The Most Efficient Permitting Of This Type Of Use, We Suggest The Following Procedure:

  1. Submit Complete Application With Required Attachments (See Link Below) To:  Public Works Office At 214 North Hogan St., 10th Floor, Jacksonville, FL, 32202.
  2. Within 5 Business Days, The Consumer Affairs Office Will Review The Application And Submit A Response For Approval Or Denial. 

Resource Links:

Permit Application for Charitable Solicitations' on the Right of Way 
Chapter 804.806.807 (Ordinance)
Public Works Indigency Form
Participant Indemnification and Hold Harmless Agreement
Charitable Solicitation - â€‹Sample Traffic Plan

Contact Us:

Traffic Engineering
(904) 255-7528
(904) 255-8786

Traffic Chief:

Chris LeDew


Click here to view Traffic Engineering fees.