City of Jacksonville

Planning and Development
Planning and Development Department

Our Role

The Planning and Development Department manages existing and future development within the City of Jacksonville.  Matters pertaining to zoning, the Comprehensive Plan, land use, concurrency, mobility, transportation policy, addressing, building codes and inspections all fall within the purview of the Planning and Development Department.  While its responsibilities are varied, the Department ensures that development and the implementation of programs and activities in Jacksonville occurs in a logical, safe, orderly and fair manner. 

Divisions - Contact Information

  • The Building Inspection Division is responsible for vertical construction permitting, building inspections, and inspections of permitted construction.

    Joshua Gideon, C.B.O,  Chief can be reached at (904) 255-8521 or

  • The Current Planning Division is responsible for zoning interpretation and review of zoning applications including Administrative Deviations, Exceptions, Variances, Waivers, Conventional Rezonings and Planned Unit Developments (PUDs). Current Planning also administers backyard hen permits, and houses the Planning Department GIS (Geographic Information Systems) Section.

    Erin Abney,  Chief can be reached at (904) 255-7817 or

  • The Community Planning Division is responsible for the Comprehensive Plan, land use amendments, Developments of Regional Impacts (DRIs) and historic preservation.

    Kristen Reed, Chief can be reached at (904) 255-7837 or

  • The Development Services Division handles floodplain management, site plan review, addressing, right-of-way permitting, concurrency/mobility and zoning counter operations that assists with various applications and certificates of use.

    Ellyn Cavin, P.E., Chief can be reached at (904) 255-8205 or

Public Records Notice
The City of Jacksonville is committed to making its website compliant with all state, local, and federal laws, as well as accessible to as many people as possible. The City is currently developing a procedure to make all documents posted ADA accessible. In the meantime, public records that are not currently accessible will not be posted to the City’s website but remain available pursuant to a public records request. Go to our Public Records Request Center to view available records, answers to frequently asked questions or to submit a public records request online.

How do I register a complaint about a troublesome neighbor or nuisance property in my neighborhood?
Property complaints and issues are entered and tracked using the MyJax system. If you have access to a computer or mobile device, you may submit a request online via MyJax or call (904) 630-CITY.


Office of the Director
Ed Ball Building
214 North Hogan Street, Suite 300
Jacksonville, Florida 32202
(904) 255-7800