City of Jacksonville


FAQs - Applications


When are applications due?

Applications (and supporting documentation, when applicable) should be submitted by July 31 so it is possible a decision can be rendered before the tax bill is issued.  All applications for the current year must be received no later than March 31 of the following year.  Click here to access applications.

Return to Top of Page

Do I have to reapply every year?

The only program that requires annual application is the stormwater fee Low-Income Exemption.  Property owners who have previously received a stormwater fee credit or 501(c)(3) exemption automatically have those discounts applied to their assessment each year.

Return to Top of Page

What do I need to submit with my application?

Each application's documentation requirements vary, so it is important that applicants read each form carefully to ensure the appropriate information is provided.  Incomplete applications will not be considered.

Return to Top of Page

I don't have any income and don't file tax returns, so how can I apply for the Low-Income Exemption?

Proof of financial status is necessary to process the Low-Income Exemption application.  Common sources income includes social security, annuity disbursements, retirement benefits, disability, child support, unemployment, gifts from family members.  If an applicant reports zero income, s/he will be asked to explain how household expenses - utility bills, food, gas, mortgage, etc. - are paid.  Effective for 2014, the city will no longer accept proof of assistance (e.g., food stamps) in lieu of household income.

Return to Top of Page

How can I check the status of my application?

Information about applications is available on a property's City Fee Account, or you may call 630-CITY (2489) or e-mail
Return to Top of Page

Who is responsible for reviewing applications?

Every application is reviewed by the Department of Public Works except the Low-Income Exemption.  That program is administered by the city's Social Services Division (formerly Behavioral and Human Services).

Return to Top of Page

When/how will I find out when a decision is made?

Customers may check the status of applications online at by entering their real estate account number (RE #) or by calling (904) 630-CITY [2489]

Return to Top of Page

Should I wait to pay my property tax bill until I hear about my application?

Property owners should not delay payment of their property tax bill because of a pending application.  The city will not be responsible for any penalties resulting from non-payment of property taxes due to a city fee application.

Return to Top of Page

Why was my application denied?

Typically, applications are denied because of an applicant's incomplete submission or misunderstanding of the requirements for approval. Customers may call 630-CITY (2489) or e-mail for more information.

Return to Top of Page

Can I appeal the denial?

Applicants are welcome to provide additional information in support of their application following a denial.  That information will be reviewed by staff and, if appropriate, forwarded to the appropriate department head for final judgment:  the Director of Public Works oversees adjustments, credits and 501(c)(3) Exemption program, and the Director of Parks, Recreation and Community Services oversees the Low-Income Exemption program.

Return to Top of Page

What if my appeal is denied - is there anything else I can do?

The decision of the department head considering appeals is final, unless the applicant provides new information that warrants reconsideration.

Return to Top of Page