Current Ethics Code Chapter 602 of the Jacksonville Ordinance Code
Historical Summary of the Ethics Code
The first Jacksonville Ethics Code was passed in 1999. Major revisions to this code were passed by City Council Nov. 11, 2007 in Ordinance 2007-329. These changes became effective as of Jan. 1, 2008.
All ordinance sections referenced in this section can be researched through the City Council Bill Search.
- ETHICS CODE, as of Jan. 1, 2008, with changes enacted by 2007-329
- 2008-470 Clarifed who had to file Local Gift Reports (this section of the code was eliminated later in Ordinance 2008- 1093). This ordinance also changed several sections of the lobbying law to clarify registration requirements and to increase penalties for non-compliance. (Passed July 21, 2008)
- 2008-839 Expanded numerous sections of the ethics laws to the Independent Authorities. (Passed January 13, 2009)
- 2008-1093 Repealed Sec 602.703 (Gift Reporting). (Request of Jax Ethics Commission) (Passed Feb. 11, 2009)
- 2010-0816 Created new Part 2, Ethics, to establish ethics policy.
- 2011-0167 Created new Part 9, Ethics Commission, which created the commission.
- 2011-0197 Created new Part 6, Office of Ethics, Compliance & Oversight, which established the independent office.
- 2013-0287 Created new Part 5, Whistleblower Protection, which adopted local procedures for administering and enforcing the State of Florida Whistleblower’s Act, F.S. 112.3187.
City Council passes legislation to create a new independent Ethics Office: The Office of Ethics, Compliance and Oversight (ECO)
- Charter changed to include Ethics and the ECO office: 2010-616
- City Council defines responsibilities and duties of Ethics Commission: 2011-167
- City Council creates new ECO office: 2011-197
- City Council confirms funding issues for the new office: 2012-85
- City Council confirms the Ethics Commission selection for the ECO director: 2012-10