UPDATE #5: IDALIA
August 30, 2023
As Hurricane Idalia approaches Florida, the City of Jacksonville Emergency Operations Center (EOC) continues to collaborate with local and state agencies as they track and monitor for any potential impacts.
Northeast Florida is anticipating tropical storm force winds, with the peak of wind speeds occurring from 9 AM – 3 PM Wednesday, August 30. There remains a risk of isolated tornadoes and downed trees, as well as a potential for localized flooding in low-lying neighborhoods along the St. Johns River and Atlantic Coast.
Visit jaxready.com/idalia for more information.
- A tropical storm warning is currently in effect for Northeast Florida.
- A tornado watch is in effect for Northeast Florida until 3 PM, August 30.
- The Jacksonville Transportation Authority has suspended ALL services starting Wednesday August, 30. Fixed Route, First Coast Flyer, Skyway, Express Select, ReadiRide and Paratransit services are anticipated to resume Thursday, August 31.
- Power outages should be reported to JEA either by calling (904)665-6000, visiting JEA.com, or texting ”OUT” to MyJEA (69532).
- Report downed power lines to 630-CITY (2489) or call 911 if you suspect a safety issues or live wire.
- Drivers should treat all malfunctioning or out-of-service traffic lights as 4-way stops.
- Now is not the time for sight-seeing. Please stay inside to keep yourself and our first responders safe.
- The following shelters remain open for anyone who needs shelter:
- The Legends Center - (5130 Soutel Dr.), open for general population and special needs.
- Chimney Lakes Elementary – (9353 Staples Mill Dr.), open for general population and pet-friendly.
- Landmark Middle - (101 Kernan Blvd), open for general population and pet-friendly.
- Atlantic Coast High - School (9735 R.G. Skinner Pkwy), special needs only.
- LaVilla School of the Arts - (501 N. Davis St.), specifically for homeless individuals.
- Oceanway Elementary – (12555 Gillespie Ave.), open for general population.
- Chaffee Trail Elementary School – (11400 Sam Caruso Way), open for general population.