City of Jacksonville


Discrimination in Housing

Who May File:

Anyone who has been or will be harmed by a discriminatory housing practice based on his/her race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, marital status, or age may file a charge of discrimination when:

  • The alleged discriminatory act occurred during the past 365 days.
  • The dwelling or housing is located in Jacksonville/Duval County.

Activities that may involve discriminatory housing practices include renting or buying a dwelling, obtaining a mortgage, or engaging in other housing-related activities.

Based on the facts obtained during the initial evaluation of the allegations, the JHRC may file a formal charge of discrimination against the property owner, property manager, developer, real estate agent, mortgage lender, homeowners association, insurance provider, and others who affect housing opportunities. Please note a charge filed with the JHRC is not a lawsuit and the JHRC does not accept or investigate anonymous complaints.


Exemptions exist for owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to its members. Additional exemptions exist for residential housing and communities for older persons.

Filing a Charge:

JHRC’s Office Hours:   Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Please note that all visitors to the JHRC's offices must go through security and check in at the visitor's desk on the first floor.

If you believe you have been discriminated against and wish to file a complaint, the first step is to fill out a Housing-Discrimination-Pre-Interview-Questionnaire-Form and email it to

If you have questions or need more information, or to request that a Housing Pre-Interview Questionnaire Form be sent to you please call or email.
            Phone: 904-255-5397

Time Limits for Filing a Housing Discrimination Complaint:

  • You may file a complaint with the JHRC within one (1) year of the alleged discriminatory act.  
  • You may file a private civil lawsuit within two (2) years of the alleged discriminatory act, at your own expense.

Our Authority:

Chapter 60, of the Jacksonville Municipal Code
Title XI, Chapter 408, Jacksonville Municipal Code
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968. (Fair Housing Act)